Saturday 30 April 2011

The Last Devotion-David Wilkerson

 

The Last Devotion-David Wilkerson

dwilk2 The Last Devotion David Wilkerson

“This is a tribute to David Wilkerson and to the God whom he served in the faith. A Man I knew, but didn’t know. Just as I knew him, He did not know me. I was one of millions his ministry touched.”

By The Watchman

Dana G Smith

Keywords: David Wilkerson, watchman, ministry, church, faith, America,

At the end of this document, you will find a Psalm and devotion concerning this, it too is called, “The Last Devotion.”

Little did I know the devotion I read would be the last one written by David Wilkerson. I am sure when he wrote what God put on his heart he did not know it would be the last devotion to go out before his own death. The devotions come, as I call them early in the morning. So when I check my email, it is there. In his last devotion, David Wilkerson spoke about “When all means fail.” For me, this devotion was the last word I received from David before his death. It was then, as I read the words, David Wilkerson Killed, my heart sank, my spirit felt grief, and I knew “The Last Devotion”, would have to be written. This is that word, given from my heart concerning this matter.

To believe when all means fail is exceedingly pleasing to God and is most acceptable. Jesus said to Thomas, “You have believed because you have seen, but blessed are those that do believe and have not seen” (John 20:29). [David Wilkerson Today;WEDNESDAY, APRIL 27, 2011;WHEN ALL MEANS FAIL]

In that last devotion David spoke of death and hopelessness. He also addressed going through the valley and the shadow of death. In all these keywords we find the major arch enemy of us all, Satan. It is his work through lies and deceit to achieve his goal which is bringing us to the end of faith in our God and our Savior Jesus Christ. But in all this, we are reminded as David put it:
“you will hear this word: Weeping will last through some dark, awful nights—and in that darkness you will soon hear the Father whisper, “I am with you. I cannot tell you why right now, but one day it will all make sense. You will see it was all part of my plan. It was no accident. It was no failure on your part. Hold fast. Let me embrace you in your hour of pain.” [ibid]

The Last Devotion:

It was early am, around 4. I was working on getting some breakfast for us before we went to work out. As usual, it included checking emails and ministry related stuff. Little did I know at that time that someone whom I had come to know through the years had been killed? This is a summary and a tale of that as I recollect my thoughts regarding this man. I remember my pastor telling me one time that “he was just a man; he put his pants on one leg at a time.” This was in response to me and others heralding his ministry and pastoral effect he had on us. It was his way of being humble. Nevertheless, he had a great impact on me and my family. That was years ago. It was through that church and my pastor that I first came to know this one, whom had died so quickly and tragically.

The year was somewhere after 1975. We were one of the many churches in the Casper area that took part in the David Wilkerson crusades. At the time we were told of the ministry, outreaches, and how we were to take part in the crusade. I was a volunteer those many years ago. I cannot remember the sermon, but remember that there were those who came forward for salvation. The crusade was gone and so was David Wilkerson, to another city, another high school or arena to preach in.

That was the start of many years of following his ministry. From the start his message struck a chord. But it wasn’t until I had read his book, “The Vision”, and before that “The Cross and the Switchblade” that I felt an inner tug and conviction. With the Vision I became a witness of what he was saying. Years before, as a young man, I had had repeated visions of America and what was coming. I had known this, saw this, and literally walked in among the vision. I know this sounds hard to believe, but it occurred. It was a lingering experience, one that I didn’t understand. Then I read David’s book the Vision and for the first time someone had come forward that I knew which was warning America of judgment. It helped explain what I had seen so many years before in my own vision.

Over the years I worked in my church, took over the men’s group and worked for the Lord. Soon we went to bible school, graduated. We entered the ministry. We followed David during that time. We got correspondence. The best part was the personal message in the letter. He would pray and put scripture in concerning what he felt the Lord telling him. At times he would bear his heart even more and you would get a glimpse of this man of God. But he did preach judgment with a fire and fervor, and in love. The Spirit of God convicting the hearts of those who heard him. Many times in his letters, especially after his hard warnings of judgments and his book, then later his follow-up to the Vision, people would get mad. He wrote about this in his many letters that went out. It is true, many who reject Gods message are Gods own people.

I remember as well the time he sold off his ministry holdings in Texas to go to New York. We respected him for that and saw his example. I also remember when he was in New York there was a moment David’s heart was gripped by what he saw. His words something to the effect, “Lord, you need to build a church here”, referring to Times Square and New York. Then the words, again, something to the effect, “David, you build one here”. With that he started Times Square church. My wife and I spent hours over the years listening to his fiery sermons. We read his newsletters as thousands of others did. Yet as he grew older we also noticed his age catching up with him. This happens to all of us. We watched as he stopped preaching so much at Times Square church or so it seemed and took to the international ministry to native Pastors. I knew well, one day this great man of God would be taken home. How many remember his “thousand fires in New York city dream” he had. How many times have his words of Judgment and words of instruction to seek the Lord rang out in the American landscape?

Yet for many, including those in the churches and religious establishment David Wilkerson is just another Pastor, Evangelist, in the work of the Lord. But he was not that then and surely is not to be remembered that way today. The hand of the Lord was upon this man. The evidence was his life and ministry. It was said of David Wilkerson at the time he came to our city that although he preached to thousands and thousands and was in the public eye most of the time, he was a private man. Now I don’t know him personally, what I know is through the only contact I had with him and through his ministry. But I have seen others who minister in that way and yet for them, getting up to preach before crowds was hard. Getting to know people was hard, simply because of the private nature of the person. I cannot speak to David Wilkerson’s true nature, but one thing I know, his calling as a Watchman. I also saw his calling as a street preacher as we all have. We watched as he took on the call to New York and to build a church there. Yet, the one thing that made David Wilkerson who he was and how he ministered was his God and his Savior Jesus Christ. For this alone I am sure David would say don’t laud me as a Christian, a Pastor, or leader; but Laud my Christ and my Savior Jesus. It would be to this end that we should speak. Not to the qualities of men and flesh, but to the grace and mercy of the infinite God who love us so much to send his only begotten Son into the world to die for our sins. Yes, it is to this purpose and end we were all born, which is, to laud, give praise, and to give glory to our God and Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Moreover, when I wrote my first book, D Day for America; I called Times Square church. I wanted to send a copy to David. The one who answered said that was possible. Many do this I was told. So I wrote the address they gave me and sent him the book. Today as I minister, and preach I do so as a Watchman first. That is who I am and what I do. I am not a David Wilkerson, nor am I my Pastor. I am one who seeks the Lord and warns people of what is coming to America and the world. As I do, I have fond and challenging memories of my Friend David Wilkerson, whom I know and don’t know. David ministered to me and to my wife many times as we sat listening to his sermons. In this I thank God, that in all things, Christ died for us, so that when all this comes to an end, we have hope and redemption through Jesus Christ our Lord. David pursued this hope and offered this redemption in all he met. David you will be missed, my friend, for I am just one who knows you through a small encounter many years ago at a crusade and who followed your ministry as many others have done. The world will never know, neither will the religious establishment of the work and fruit that was brought into the kingdom by your faithfulness.

The Last Devotion, A Psalm

“ A tribute to David Wilkerson and to the God whom he served faithfully. A Watchman whom I knew; even as he did not know me”

A Psalm by the Watchman

Dana G smith

Sorrow hits my joints.

Grief fills the soul.

In darkness, weeping hears this;

The sad grieving;

For the loss is great!

How weak is man!

How great is his God.

Yet many forsake him.

In the death of the flesh,

In the destruction of life,

There is no joy.

Alas, had I known,

If only I paid more attention,

Then, preparations would have been made.

Then my heart would have been ready,

For this, this loss, Yet I wasn’t.

Will you know little man,

Of This thing, which I speak,

Not of sorrow, yes;

But of a Greater Joy?

For in death,

There is life, do you know this?

For one only conquered death!

One alone conquered hell!

That one, fully God, fully man,

Son of God, Savior;

Lion, of the tribe of Judah;

The Scepter, which has been raised,

Is now the head of the corner,

He is the stone which the builders rejected,

But now he is our Lord and Savior.

He is Jesus Christ, who sealed by his blood,

The covenant with God.

That by faith in him,

In his work, we shall taste life,

Yea, not taste death nor hell.

For this, in the Death of one,

This one whom is grieved,

One who was taken,

Yea, sorrow is borne, but joy also comes.

For on that day we shall join,

All of us, together in one,

During that time in eternity’s resurrection,

Arm in arm, heart in heart,

Crowns tossed at our Saviors feet,

For this our God has redeemed us,

So that in death, we would have hope!

So, my friend, we shall meet again on that day,

We shall be known then, even as we are known today,

So wait the day until sorrow turns to joy,

And hope is fulfilled in Christ Jesus,

Then we shall be with our God and he shall be with us.

Forever, amen, forever,

Praise be our God and father and to Jesus Christ our Lord,

Blessed be he that sits upon the throne and to the Lamb forever and ever!

http://ddayforamerica.com/2011/04/28/the-last-devotion-david-wilkerson/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.