Monday 18 April 2011

My plan for survival in Brazil

 

I thought I would like to share my plans with you. I live in Rio de Janeiro, a big city, and frankly, I believe that it would be impossible to bug in in the class media condo I live. Water would be a problem very very soon, and security-wise, it would be a nightmare.
My main concern is not nuclear war or major natural disasters, but economic meltdown. While I think it's prudent to thing about major epidemics, right now, what I consider as the most probable is a general societal disruption caused by economic downturn. Of course, without working utilities, we would see epidemics of tropical diseases like cholera within a few weeks, but at least a major economic SHTF is somewhat predictable in advance if you are looking at the right places.
Other Factors:
SECURITY: Unless you are very wealthy or work for certain branches of the government, it's pretty much impossible to acquire a gun legally in Brasil. Of course this doesn't deter the criminals, that have very hefty armories, But I am not a criminal e don't plan o becoming one. So, I am pretty much handicapped on the personal defense department. Only hope is keeping an absurdly low profile, try to hole up somewhere out of the beaten path and pray for the best.
COST: I am lower middle class. So, no hope of having a survivalist-dream bug out location. As I have no money to waste, I have to be prepared to do most things myself, and go the DIY most of the times to save more money.
FAMILY: I have an older mon, my wife and a daughter.
LIKE MINDED FRIENDS: I have some friends who are able to undertand the idea, but that probably won't commit resources right now unless things start to look pretty bad. But right now, I would be alone.
MY IDEAS SO FAR:
LOCATION: I have some pretty good rural locations in sight ranging from 100 to 300 kms. My annual income is about 50.000 U$. I can have some piece of land in the most secluded location for some 2500 to 5000 USD. I think it's important to actually own the land to avoid trouble using other people's land. Those lands are mostly subtropical jungle without severe winters, but with mild summers given their elevation.
LAND USAGE BEFORE SHTF: I was thinking about keeping bee hives and start some guerrila gardening. Maybe I could do some kind of partnership with some hard-working, god-fearing peasant neighbor, where he would help keep the bee-hives in exchange for a part of the production. Trouble is, I still have a lot to learn about bees.
VEHICLE: I love my honda civic, but I know it wouldn't survive rough terrain. My plan is selling it as soon as inflation start worrying me for real, and buying an old beaten pick-up truck. My late father was mechanic-shop owner, and while I am a computer program, I think I have some engine-oils in my veins. As far as there's nothing fancy like electronic systems, or automatic trasmission, I am pretty much able to maintain a car. Another option would be acquiring an old volkswagen beatle for some 700 USD. Although no off-road vehicle, it has rear traction, and it's able to take some rough treatment without falling apart.
LONG TERM Cultures:
Having fair weather all along the year will help a lot, as I don't even have to consider green-houses.
My primary choices will be Manioc, Bananas, Potatos, Sugar Cane and Corn.
Animals?
Not sure whether I would be able to feed pigs, but chickens are a top priority. What worries me is the noise of roasters calling out the world to tell: "hey, there's food in the other side of this mountain !", Maybe rabbits would be better, But from reading this forum I've learned that they are almost devoid of fats, and fats are not a problem with chickens. Are there some less noise alternative in the avian department to chickens??
SECURITY:
Ok. I know it's not perfect. But a man has to do with what he got to do. Maybe I could enter a gunclub, make some friends among honest policemen (there are not plenty of such here in brasil, and unfortunatelly, most of police people here in Rio would probable become feudal warlords)
Other thing is the idea of looking as miserable as possible. Caching stored goods far from property. not having much in possession. No generators, no solar panels, and so on. Really, there's no much here for me here in Brasil than praying. If bands of criminal decide to enslave my family after SHTF there's no much I can do now to prepare without going to jail.
CONCLUSION:
I could have written a lot more, but those, basically, are my ideas. I know it doesn't sound great, but this is what I can realistically do. Of course, maybe honey could prove to be a great business, and in that case, I could leave my work in the city and become a farmer before SHTF, but I am not counting on it. Some of you will will mention that I've didn't talk about water. And this is because water is mostly a non-issue on the middle to southern regions of Brasil. Actually, I don't have too much reason to be afraid of nature here, as it is indeed a friend most of the time. My main troubles would probably be caused by other people.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=164571&goto=newpost

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.